The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (Inheritance Series #1)

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms - N.K. Jemisin This will again be a hard book to review. Why is it that the good ones are always the hardest ones to review?There was just something about this book. At times I felt like I should be confused by the writing, by the characters or by how it was narrated, but I never was. I was swept away in a dream and experienced this book as the tale it was. It is being narrated by Yeine as she looks back on what has happened and it just feels so good. The writing is flawless and the tone is just right for this kind of book. It is also different on other levels as I usually go for epic quest kind of fantasy. This one takes place during a short period of time. There are a lot of questions regarding her mother’s death and why she left her place as heir to the throne, questions about the Gods that are imprisoned and used as toys for the high and mighty, and questions about why Yeine is there. Politics, love and mysteries is what this book is about.The book is a part of a trilogy but there is an ending in this book as the next book will be about someone else. I did wonder how there could be an ending as everything pointed to her death. There are two cousins who want the throne, her grandfather does not like her and she spends time with the Enefadeh. That is the Gods who are slaves. You just have to read and find out.The world, I wanted more. And what I liked the most was the Gods. One rules now after he killed his sister and made the rest slaves to the ruling king. It was horrible. They who once were might now had to do everything they were told. And some people are not nice at all. I felt sorry for them; even though I knew they were deadly. Fascinating tale of the gods.There you have it. A great fantasy story that was not like any I have read before. In this world of plenty she delivers a fresh story. I highly recommend it and I will certainly read more by this wonderful author. I could not put the book down and I had to keep on reading.