The Iron Duke (Iron Seas Series #1)

The Iron Duke (Iron Seas Series #1) - My thoughts:How to even start explaining this book? Ok the Horde showed up and lay waste to Europe, people fled across the seas. Those left behind were infected with nanoagents and it went terribly wrong and they became zombies. In England it worked better and the Horde had complete control over their emotions. Then The Iron Duke came and destroyed their hold on the people and the Horde left. Europe is zombie infested, England tries to move on, and the Horde still control big parts of the world.Our heroine is Mina, daughter of an Earl, and she works as an inspector. Her mother become pregnant with her during a frenzy, that is when the Horde wanted the people to breed. She looks like them, and people do not forget easily. Rhys is a Welshman turned pirate, and become a Duke because of his service to the country. Everyone loves him, just as no one likes Mina.I liked Mina, she was brave and smart. Yes people spat on her and called her jadewhore, but she went on with her job. I respected her. Rhys, he was an enigma, I did like him too, because come on, he was a pirate. But there was so much more to him. He wanted her, but she held back because she knew what she was, and what she could not have. Doomed romance, I loved it.But truthfully the best part is the world. Rich and just awesome. Zombies, nanos in the blood that control you and make you stronger, people with drills for arms, flying ships, seas that have krakens and other monsters. A world turned upside down and a world so great that I need to know more about it. I guess that is also the only negative part, I wanted more info about the Horde.The plot was good too. A body left at his estate, why, and a bigger plot in it all.Recommendation and final thoughts:Yes, yes and one more yes. What are you waiting for? Read this book. It has something for everyone, romance, steampunk, zombies, action, mystery, great characters and wonderful worldbuilding. I closed the book and I needed more.