Motherland

Motherland - Amy Sohn The book is well-written, and when I read that the author is also a screenwriter, I could see that in the book. It's feels like you are watching it while reading. And also, the book is so very New York. I had to dig deeper and the author actually lives in the area in the book. It feels real, like you are sitting there watching the Park Slope mums take over the neighborhood.Anyway, on to the review. At first, all the Povs seemed daunting, but Sohn saved me by giving the chapters the title of the character in question. We have Rebecca, who has secrets, Marco who does not want a second kid but he boyfriend does not take no for an answer, Danny who is tired of domestic life (but then most in this book are), Karen, a newly single mum who wants to date again, and Melora, an A-list actress trying to make it on Broadway. Some of these people are friends, and some come together later on. So yes there are a lot of POVS, but it works, sure I mistook someone now and then, because they are all so alike. Bad sex lives, kids running amok, and wanting more from life. But I got there.The book is rather depressing when I think about it. No one is happy. There is quiet drama and self doubting, jealousy and affairs. It makes me wonder if anyone can ever be happy being married and having kids. See, I told you it was a bit depressing. But that makes it real, people argue, they do not have time for sex, and there are to many things to juggle in life. And then things go to hell.At one time I wondered if I even liked the book. I knew the writing was terrific, but did I like it? That question bothered me for a while, since nothing was wrong with the book, but later on I did come to a conclusion, I liked the book. Maybe it was the satire, and namedropping that did it.