Three Sisters (Emily Castles Mysteries)

Three Sisters (Emily Castles Mysteries) - Helen  Smith Alright, as a rule I don’t like short stories. They usually leave a lot lacking and give you the bare minimum, but Helen Smith’s Three Sisters fell straight into the likeable category. While short, it has it all: a mystery, a likeable main character and humorous elements to keep the mystery light.Emily is still sad about the death of her dog Jessie, who she understandably misses a lot. So in an effort to cheer herself up, she goes to a Halloween party she’s invited too. However, nothing goes quite as she’s hoped. She’s witness to a murder but there’s no body, and the hosts are more like performing artists. In fact the part is more like a Murder Mystery night… or is it? And no, it’s not the butler ;-) The story is fast paced – it has to be since it’s so short. A lot happens in those 70 pages and you have to keep your head in the game. The characters are fun, but sometimes a little of the top. I would have liked to have seen more of Emily and get to know her a little more apart from Emily the woman who just lost her beloved dog. Three Sisters is a good solid story with a fun mystery. It’s not as humorous as the description would like you to believe as it has a bit of a dark tone – but you have to like that. All in all, I can really recommend Three Sisters as a short cozy read if you like a good mystery.