The Usurper (King Rolen's Kin Series #3)

The Usurper - Rowena Cory Daniells First, the guy looks totally scary, fear not though, he is not a zombie. I guess he is meant to be Fyn, the prince destined to become a monk because of his magic.This book picks up where the last ended. Piro is on her way to Merofynia as a slave and she will serve princess Isolt. While her capturer expects her to be a spy for him. Byren has a camp filled with women, children, and some soldiers. He is trying to figure out how he can win his country back from his cousin, and kick out all the Merofynians. All while the young Fyn has been shanghaied and is now a sea hound. They all want to restore the throne.I liked Piro's adventure, because later she meets this young mage, and I do like when I suddenly gets hopes up for possible romance. Byren's tale was war, as before, he is the fighter, the brave one and the one destined to be king. While Fyn really stepped up in this one, he showed he is courageous and noble, and he falls in love, sort of.There were also some new faces, the young mage Tyro, princess Isolt, and then the evil Palatyne who wants to rule the world, and marry the young pretty Isolt. He does not care who he kills on hsi way to his throne. He feels like a very believable bad guy. Greedy for power.The only negative part is the end. Oh it's a very happy fulfilling ending, but at the at same time it's open, and some major conflicts are left, especially in the romantic department. I want more, I need more, I must Daniells.This is still a good end to a fantasy series that kept me enthralled and I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. The political plots, the hidden agendas, the magic, it all makes this an interesting tale of good, bad, and all that lies in between.