Soulless (Parasol Protectorate Series #1)

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate Series #1) - This book is a mix of things and I fell head over heels for it. I had heard a lot about steampunk and after reading this I want more. I love a good alternate history/earth kind of book.And yes I know I put up a lot of genres there, but there is a lot of different things in here, and how to tell what is what. Also I am first now getting the whole steampunk idea. What not to miss is that it's also comedic. It's so witty, and even if it's not laugh out loud haha, it has that witty streak through out the whole book that I often sat there with a smile on my face. I loved the banter between the main characters.Alexia is a great heroine, witty, smart and not like her half sisters or other women. She is also soulless, a soulsucker as the vampires call her kind. She has been a spinster from once, her mother does not know about her condition, but because of her Italian look she has been on the shelf for 10 years. But she is quite happy there, and she has the freedom to at least try to do what she wants.But then there is the nasty incident with a rude vampire who does not introduce himself instead he goes straight for her neck. Vampires have more manners than that since they, werewolves and ghosts now are a part of society. She is of course shocked and does what she has to do. here the book starts, and we get to meet Lord Maccon who she has come across now and then. The alpha wolf from Scotland who came and took control over the London pack. Rather rude, and very much a werewolf. Can she figure out things without running in to him all the time?Lord Maccon, well yes I fell for him. He is all alpha, and the dance between those two is great, she has really succeeded with creating chemistry between them. They are so annoyed by each other, but at the same time there is something more there. Something a soulless really should not feel for a werewolf, because what would others say? How I wanted them together.Werewolves. vampires and ghosts are a normal sight in England, an the rest of the world these days. In England they are a part of society, and it's a nice twist to it. The setting feels normal.This is a great and funny book. There is the romance, the comedy of manners, and the insight in how things could perhaps have been. The main characters are lovely, and very rude. The side characters are nice, especially Lord Akeldama, her vampire, and very eccentric friend.For lovers of paranormal, historical, urban fantasy, steampunk or romance, this is a book that I can recommend. It's a nice read, and I am so happy I was lucky to win it, and discovering yet another great side genre. With likable characters, a funny story and that little bit of extra this is a good start to a series. The next book will be released in the spring of 2010.