The Sugar Queen

The Sugar Queen - Sarah Addison Allen I had heard good things about her books, and I do like magical realism so I thought why not. And now, now I think, why not sooner!?This was a wonderful light book, I could not put it down. It had everything it should have, a bit of magic that seemed so real. Books that follow someone around. Light and warmth and a bit of a fairytale over it all. Josey is a bit like Rapunzel, she is stuck in her house, guarded by her mother. But she lets her hair down and starts to live.I liked Josey, she tries her best with her mother. But they are not happy together. Instead Josey hoards candy and romance novels. She has no life. Until a fairygodmother, in the form of a woman on the run from a man, shows up in her closet. Della gives her the push she needs and it was a joy to see Josey try new things and get away from the darkness that is her mother.She also make a new friend, make that only friend, Chloe. Another woman with man trouble, and of course, a strange habit of collecting books that just shows up. Something I loved because I am a booklover, and to have books just show up? Yes please. And these two women are good for each other. A growing friendship is on the way.Of course we have a sprinkle of romance too which again warms my heart. This princess needs that.In the end it was just perfect, just like I want my magical realism fiction to be. It was also a different sort of Southern book, since there is a ski resort on the mountains, and that gave it another sort of flavor.Yes I want more by this author and I also recommend this book.